The Diana Wortham Theatre is a modern 500 seat proscenium theatre built in 1991. It is contained within Pack Place, a cultural center located in the heart of Asheville's vibrant downtown.
- Orchestra Level 352
- Balcony 142
- Balcony Boxes 16
- Fully computerized with the capacity to do reserved, general admission, or mixed houses.
- The Diana Wortham Theatre and Pack Place are accessible.
- Wheelchair seating is available on the orchestra level.
- Infrared assisitive listening devices are available.
- 3 of 4 Dressing Room areas are Wheelchair Accessible.
Stage and Theatre:
Click here for a larger view of the ground plan. (pdf)
- Proscenium Height: 24' @ CL, 22' on offstage edges
- Proscenium Width: 39'-1"
- Plaster Line to stage edge: 2'-4'
- Plaster line to back wall: 39'-3"
- Proscenium edge to SL wall: 20'-6" minus soft goods and 4' for flyrail
- Proscenium edge to SR wall: 16'-8" minus soft goods
- Stage Floor is Quartersawn pine tongue in groove laid over neoprene and 2x4 sleepers. Absolutely NO FASTENERS are allowed in the deck.
- An orchestra pit is available. It will hold approximately 30 musicians. It is not hydraulic, but is platformed level with the first row of seating. The covering must be removed to utilize the pit.
- The theatre is very intimate, with the farthest seat in the balcony being no more than 60' from the edge of the stage. The balcony is moderately raked to provide optimum vantage.
- A tech table is available for location in Row H. There are connections for lightboard display, DMX, Remote Focus Unit, as well as power and Clearcom system. A lightboard monitor is available.
Lighting: Click here for a larger sectional. (pdf)
- Control: ETC Express 250 w/ wireless Remote Focus Unit
- Dimming: 255 2.4K ETC L86 Dimmers wired dimmer per circuit.
- Houselights: Controllable from lightboard or separate house light controls in the booth.
- Near catwalk: 55' wide ~ 45 deg. inclination from stage. Throw is ~45' @ CL
- Far catwalk: 55' wide ~ 35 deg. inclination from stage. Throw is~55' @ CL
- Balcony Rail: 20' wide. ~10 deg. inc. from stage. Throw is ~40'@ CL
- Box Booms: Hang from hand railing in the opera boxes. ~25 deg inclination from stage. ~30' throw from Pos. to CL.
- Anteproscenium: Generally used to down light the pit. Not a usable angle for lighting most of the stage.
1st Electric: The only permanent electric. Trussed pipe w/ 32 circuit raceway.
Located on Lineset 5. (See Lineset Schedule)
Overstage Electrics: These are flexible with moveable drop-boxes.
(10) 8 circuit boxes available. See Lineset Schedule for Standard Locations. Moving the drop boxes must be discussed with the Production Coordinator well in advance.
- (4) 4 circuit floor pockets each stage left and stage right
- (1) 4 circuit wall box on proscenium wall stage left and stage right
- (3) 8 circuit wall boxes on upstage wall stage left, center, and stage right
- Booms: (8) 10' high booms w/ plate steel bases are available.
- Floor mounts: Pigeon plating of units is possible.
- (16) 12deg. Altman 1KL series Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlights (ERS)@1Kw
- (18) 6x16 Altman 360Q Series ERS @1Kw
- (50) 6x12 Altman 360Q Series ERS @750w
- (60) 6x9 Altman 360Q Series ERS @750w
- (18) Source 4 Lekos with
- 50 deg. barrels (8)
- 36 deg. barrels (10)
- 26 deg. barrels (8)
- 19 deg. barrels (10)
- (6) 4.5x6.5 Altman 360Q Series ERS @ 750w
- (12) 8" Altman 75Q Series Fresnels (slide focus)@ 1Kw
- (30) Source Four PARs, with lens kits @ 750w
- (20) 8" Altman Star Pars, with lens kits @575w
- (6 ) Altman Sky Cycs 3 cells ea. @ 1Kw ea.cell
- (6) Altman 6"x 6'-0" R40 Striplights 3 ckts. 4 cells per ckt. 150w per cell.
- (2) Altman Explorer HMI Followspots located in Far catwalk.
- (6) Barndoors for 8" Fresnels
- (16) Tophats for 7.5"x 7.5" units
- (25) B size pattern holders for 360Q's
- (18) B size pattern holders for ETC Sourcefours
- Adequate Cabling and Color Frames for Inventory
- Connectors are 2P&G
Note: Please check inventory with Production Coordinator for any units out for repair.
Fly System and Rigging:
- Single Purchase Counterweight System. 41 sets total.
- Grid height: 51'-3"
- Batten high trim: 49'
- Batten low trim: 4'
- Battens are 2" ID steel pipe.
- Battens have 5 loft lines 1 @ CL, 2 @ 11'OC(either side), 2 @ 22'OC(either side)
- Batten Length: 49' except Line # 40 which has trussed pipe for cyclorama 56'wide.
- Arbor capacity: 1200lbs
- Counterweight in house: 20 tons
|Line||Distance From Plaster Line||
|2||2'-8"||Main Curtain ** (Red)(Fly or Trav.)|
|3||3'-2"||#1 Black Border (6x50) & #1 Black Legs (24 x 8)|
|5||4'-2"||1st Electric ** (32 ckts.)|
|7||6'-8"||Movie Screen **|
|11||8'-8"||#2 Black Border (8x50)|
|12||9'-2"||#2 Black Legs (24x8)|
|16||12'-2"||2nd Electric (24 ckts.)|
|19||14'-8"||#3 Black Border (8x50)|
|20||15'-2"||#3 Black Legs (24x8)|
|22||17'-2"||3rd Electric (24 ckts.)|
|26||20'-8"||#4 Black Border (8x50)|
|27||21'-2"||#4 Black Legs (24x8)|
|28||22'-2"||Full Stage Black Traveler|
|30||24'-2"||4th Electric (28 ckts.)|
|34||27'8"||#5 Black Border (8x50) #5 Black Legs (24x8)|
|37||30'-2"||5th Electric (16 ckts.)|
|40||33'-2"||Full Stage Split Black
- The Locking Rail is Stage left at deck level.
- There is a loading rail Stage Left near grid height.
- There is a mid-rail Stage Left that is used for loading and as a pin-rail
- There is a mid-rail Stage Right that can be used as a pin-rail.
- Soft Goods: (as indicated in Lineset Schedule)
- 1 49'w x 8'h Burgundy (Red) Velour House Valence with fullness.
- 1 Burgundy (Red)Velour House Main Curtain will Travel or Fly
- 1 14'2"h x 28'2"w Movie Screen suitable for front projection only
- 5 Sets (10) of black velour legs 8'w x 24'h hung flat
- 5 Black Velour Borders 49'w x 8'h hung flat
- 1 Black Sharkstooth Scrim 49'w x 24'h
- 1 Grey Filled Lino Cycloramas 54w x 25'10" h
- 1 Black Velour Traveler in fullness 51'w x 23'10" h with a 39'6" maximum opening
- The in house sound system is flexible to meet the needs of a variety of event types.
- 24x8x2 Soundcraft Venue control board w/ matrix sends for Video and recording
- DBX Limiter in-line
- Klark-Technik 31 band Graphic EQ's on Main Cluster, fills (3 channels), and Ashley EQ's on monitors (2 channels).
- Crown Macrotech and QSC Amplifiers driving JBL cabinets.
- Main Cluster: In ceiling above center of orchestra pit
- 4 18" JBL Woofers
- 2 2" Horns aimed to fill high and low
- 4 JBL Control 10's as audience stereo side fills for Theatre/ Dance events
- 2 JBL 4699 (Cabaret) cabinets (stereo) (18" and 10" woofer w/ 1" horn) on edge of stage for music events.
- 4 JBL wedges (12" woofer w/ 1" bullet driver) for musician monitors or stage side fills.
- 1 Tascam CD401 CD Player
- 1 Nakamichi MR1 Cassette Player/ Recorder
- 1 Sony Minidisk Player with Autopause feature
- Live Sound:
- 4 AKG 451 interchangeable capsule microphones w/ cardiod(4), omni(2), and shotgun(2) patterns available.
- 2 SM58's
- 3 Passive Direct boxes
- 1 SPX900 Digital Effects Processor
- 6 tall tripod boom stands
- 2 tall round base straight stands
- 2 short tripod stands
- 2 Music Stands
Dressing Rooms/ Backstage Facilities:
- Visiting Production Office w/ phone line
- Green room SL will hold 10-15
- 2 principal dressing rooms SL each with a shower, sink, toilet, mirror suitable for 2-4 individuals each. Wheelchair Accessible. Fluorescent Lighting only.
- Hallway to Loading dock SR
- Electrics Shop and Storage Room SR Suitable for case storage or light construction.
- 1 SL upstairs Chorus dressing room w/ 4 cubicles. Showers, Sinks, Toilets, and Mirrors w/ make-up lights. Suitable for 20-24 individuals. Wheelchair Accessible only through Lobby.
- Same as Balcony level except only accessible by stairs.
Note: All dressing rooms, green room, and backstage hallways have stage monitor system and stage manager announce system. Announcements can only be made from the stage manager's console, SL.
- Dock is located at 6 S. Market St., south of Pack Square across from municipal (police/fire) building.
- Loading dock is 18' wide x 90' long.
- Dock Height is 41". A small dock plate is available. No Forklift available.
- Dock Door is 12'w x 10'h. Corridor leads from Dock to Stage via 2 7'5"w x 9'-7"h doors and a 40' hallway.
- No Shore Power is available.
- Vehicles may remain in dock overnight with permission from Facilities Manager. Owner assumes all risk of damage.
- Dock serves multiple facilities and as such is not the property of the theatre, although every effort is made to facilitate users' needs. Loading dock space must be scheduled with the Facilities Manager in advance for load-in and load-out.
- 1 Iron
- 1 Ironing Board
- 1 Steamer
- 1 Refrigerator
Diana Wortham Theatre
At Pack Place
2 South Pack Square
Asheville, NC 28801
John Ellis, Managing Director,